Friday, February 26, 2010

New media and my goals for the future...

 

This week I hit 150 subscribers for the MrJingjong (The Aimless Cook) channel! More importantly, the quality of subscriber I have been getting recently have been surprising. I am really starting to feel like a part of the J-vlogging community. Facebook has also been quite a tool in promoting my YouTube endeavors and I'm finding that a lot of YTers are doing the same.

There's something surreal about the interaction in new media. TV just doesn't have that. Mind you, I still like TV, but if I were to make a choice today...internet FTW. There's something to be said about watching your favorite YT personalities and being able to comment, rate and interact with them. When I made the decision to get serious about my channel, it was cool to be able to pick up and learn everything I needed to in order to make it all happen. I watched a lot of what the other YouTubers were doing, what tools they were using and listened to the comments to tweak my channel into what it is today. It's still a work in progress, but I'm having so much fun in the meantime

What does the future hold for MrJingjong? Well, I think it's a reasonable aspiration, but I want to hit 500 subscribers by the summer. I want to be able to reach even more viewers and get more involved in the YT community through collaborations and guest spots. I would also like to take my first trip to Japan. It's always been on my life's "to-do" list as I have been into Japanese culture for a long long time.

Of course, I also want money. Nothing wrong with wanting money. One of the first J-bloggers I seriously got into was Danny Choo. He has been a real source of inspiration to the work I do. It's true that your passion can take you anywhere, and in my case, I know that I can get what I want out of life by just applying myself and putting energy into what I love doing most, which is cooking, teaching and making engaging content for my viewers. Cookbook, DVD...yes. Definitely.

So, that being said, I want to say, "Thank you" to the YT community for the great comments, support and encouragement. My channel is steadily growing and finding its niche among the many cooking channels that are already out there. I'm glad that I can be a source of information and entertainment for the viewers and I plan to continue as long as there are people that love to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment